Saturday, February 27, 2010

Injury Profile

Please state your info in this format:
Here's mine

Male

40 years old

Injury: Lingual nerve injury due to injection injury July 2009

Symptoms: Numbness, burning, tingling, stinging, over sensitive, achy, strange tastes that include sour and metallic.

Treatment/Meds. tried: Gabapentin, Lyrica, Topamax, soft laser, acupuncture, pepper candies, beer, wine., A load of supplements that you can read about in the treatment thread.

Best treatment or coping strategies: Get lots of sleep, makes sure you getting proper nutrition even when food tastes like broken glass. exercise. Vitamins. I think soft laser helped too.

How I am today: No more numbness, mild but constant burn that can ramp up from time to time. Still positive that I can make a good recovery.

31 comments:

  1. Female

    33 years old

    Injury: Neurotoxic lidocaine injection to mandibular nerve 6 months ago

    Symptoms: Aching pain, no numbness

    Treatment: Nortriptyline, 50mg, Topamax, 100 mg, Low level laser, mega dosing with Vitamin C. Vitamin C has helped my pain the most.

    Best coping strategies: being an active part of society, do lots of research, gets lots of sleep. talk to a friend or loved one for support.

    How I am today: My pain is better than day one; its mostly mild. some days there are peaks. i hope it continues to get better with time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello

      How are your symptoms today.It has been 10 years since. I hope you are recovered.

      I suffer from articaine neurotoxicity for 3 months now. No numbness, only aching pain and touch sensitive on sides.

      Delete
  2. Female

    35

    Injury: lingual nerve damage from nerve block using 2% Articaine

    Symptoms: initially numbness, then burning pain, then alternating pain and weird sensations including greasiness, tingling, metallic taste, rug burn.

    Treatment: No pain meds. Took fish oil, L-Carnitine and Alpha Lipoic Acid. The last two seemed to make a big difference.

    Best coping strategies: Ignoring it, doing exercise, finding something to be distracted by, because advice I got from a pain specialist was that the more you focus on it, the more you wind up the sense of pain and the more likely it is to become chronic. I think this is good advice - I could feel the pain increase when I focused on it.

    How I am today: Now - almost at 6 months - no pain, still a weird sensation that I just can't describe, bit of metallic taste sometimes. Can no longer taste salt (everything is sweet! better than everything being salty!). Still changing, so I think still healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Female
    46
    Carbocaine injected into lingual nerve Dec 2009

    Symptoms: excruciating burning tongue and constant thirst, felt like I was always biting my left cheek and like tongue was clamped.

    Teeth throbbing/sensitive, area of injury sore inside as well as outside on neck, burning throat, headaches and facial pain. Cheek hurts like I'm constantly being punched in the face 24x7. Have gone through 2 root canals during this time as well, which doesn't help.

    After 4 months pain is reduced from a 9 most days to a 6 or so, with flareups about every 5 days or so. Stress definitely makes it worse.

    Did not realize at first that LNI was the cause of the pain; took 10 weeks of researching on the internet to figure out. Saw 5 Drs who tested me for everything under the sun.

    Treatment: low intensity laser- I believe this helped reduce burning tongue but very expensive only did 4 treatments. acupuncture 8 times- helps with headaches and relaxation. NONE of this covered by insurance and I've lost job due to numerous Dr visits and pain.

    Treatments and coping: topical benzocaine and oragel have been lifesavers. A drop of honey on the tongue gives relief, though fleeting. Deep breathing. Perspective - things could always be worse. Biotene mouth rinse, berry flavored gum, Halls mouth moisture drops, Bee honey throat lozenges.

    Hard to exercise or do anything, really, when your head and teeth are pounding all the time, plus the meds exhaust me.

    A-lipoic acid, L-carnitine, Vitamin C, B complex. But I am so sick of pills at this point I've fallen off my regimine.

    Meds: clonazepan 1/2 tab 3-4x day helps with burning tongue. Started and stopped: Neurontin, Tegretol, Advil, Tylenol (all useless). Lyrica only for 1 day - it helped but made me too loopy to even drive and messed up my vision. Vicodin gets me through the worst flareups.

    How I am today: approaching the 4 month mark, I can say I am about 30% better . This is definitely a cyclical recovery - 1 step forward, 2 steps back. The specialist who treated me thinks recovery should be at 4 months, so that's scary because I'm nowhere near recovery. From what I read online, maybe 6-9 mos more realistic, if you're not one of the 15% who never recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I just wanted to see how your recovery went?

      Delete
  4. Name: Imogina

    update: Now at about 8 months and largely healed. Sometimes I get the rug-burned dry feeling, but it's minimal now. Many days I forget about it altogether.

    My tips: distraction, don't obsess about it (easier said than done) and try supplements. When I get home I'll be trying some suggestions from a naturopath. Will post about how they go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Female
    28
    Injury: lingual nerve damage from wisdom tooth extraction

    Symptoms: numbness in base and right side of my mouth, loss of taste, inability to sense temperature, constant burning pain in tongue (which intensifies after talking/eating), sudden uncontrollable spasms in tongue, difficult to talk, feels like my tongue is tied to the base of my mouth and takes a huge effort to move it, insomnia.

    Treatment: Antibiotics (still on week 1), ibuprofen, B-complex, going to try other supplements mentioned here, thanks.

    Best coping strategies: Ignoring it, finding something to be distracted by, being realistic.

    How I am today: Anxious about how long this might last, angry with my dentist for not warning me this could happen, upset that this has happened and that I didn't read this information before the surgery. Trying to keep positive and tell myself it's still early days. Extremely apprectiative of this site! Really helpful to hear what's worked or hasn't for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny! If you get this... just wondering how long your recovery was? Did it ever get fully better?

      Delete
  6. Yes how are you now? All recovered? I am one month today and still miserable! Fingers crossed that you healed up totally!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Female

    29 years old

    Injury: Nerve damage to left bottom jaw. Not sure which nerve as no one can seem to tell me. I had my top and bottom left wisdom teeth extracted 7 weeks ago.

    Symptoms: numbness of my gums, chin, and lip. Uncomfortable "teething" feeling in from three left teeth, pressure in my lower front teeth when I push on my top teeth and nose (I know weird right?). I had zero tongue problems and now 7 weeks later I am experiences a buring tongue/tongue falling asleep on the left side along with a weird taste in my mouth.

    Treatment: Two courses of antibiotics, medrol dose pack, toradol, ibuprofen, cbd oil.

    Best coping strategies: staying busy. Its always uncomfortable but it is harder when I am doing nothing and attempting to relax.

    How am I today? Freaking out. It has been a nightmare. The oral surgeon who originally did the surgery has been zero help. He couldnt help with the simplist of questions. Last Tueaday (exactly 6 weeks later) I went to a new oral surgeon for a second opinion.I felt like this new OS was a God sent. He was very reassuring and for the fist time since this happened. He gave me Toradol to take for 5 days to relieve any lingering inflammation. I understood this wasnt going to go away over night but I had hope that eventually it would. That was a lot more than I previously had. Over the next few days I started noticing different sensations. My teeth were more sensitive, I had a weird sharp sting when I moved my lip a certain way. All I could think was that the Toradol must be working and that these weird sensations were my nerve "waking" a little. On the last day I noticed my the left side of my tongue falling asleep a bit. It was faint but I could tell. It instantly worried me. Like I said before I have had zero problems with my tongue up until this point. The next day my tongue felt the same bringing me to today. My tongue felt better when I woke up and steadly got worse through out the day. Now it feels like its burning and tastes metallic.

    I called the OS to report the change as to ask what this meant. I am no expert and have had a tough time finding answers online. The way I see it is, by having an added symptom I'm getting worse. If thats the case, why? Or its part of healing. My nerve is getting better and waking up and for whatever reason this is just part of it. Of course the OS surgical assistant didnt answer that question. She said the OS wants me to wait until next tues (my next appt) to reevaluate my situation and that hr might referre me to a neurologist.

    When she said that I instantly felt sick. If he is thinking about sending me to a neurologist that must mean I am getting worse, right?

    I dont know how much more I can take of this :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you gotten any better yet? Just started dealing with this myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi joy.how are you today.hope youll be fine....

      Delete
  9. I am a 27 year old female.

    Injury: lingual nerve damage after needle injection during wisdom teeth surgery 1 week ago.

    Sxs: 2/3 of tounge is numb and burning. It makes every day living really difficult and painful.

    Tx: steroids and antibiotics (neither seem to be helping)

    Coping: letting myself worry and be upset for a while, then move on. The worry comes in cycles. Also trying to distract myself and stay busy. Lastly trying to keep it in perspective.

    How I’m doing: not well. It’s so hard to talk, and talking is my livelihood (I’m a therapist). I am trying to stay positive but when the pain of the burning tounge gets so bad it’s hard to do that. I’m worried because you don’t know if it will heal or not. This forum has been helpful as people have updated when they have gotten better. I’m hoping to hear from other folks who may get better as some inspiration! So far I’ve had no change ... praying I will though 🙏🏻🙏🏻🤞🤞.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sarah how are u today since a year passed?

      Delete
    2. I suffered it 3years now and d pain s still there.d best thing i did s 2 do busy always

      Delete
  10. 8 weeks in,
    Anaesthetic caused lingual nerve damage,
    Right side of tongue still feels numb and no sense of taste, have done a lot of research online, what’s the consensus on laser or surgery, From Canada not much support or Drs that can treat this injury,
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated, How long can it take for nerve to heal, I’ve read 3 months then after that an intervention would be required,

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie I've been living with lingual nerve damage for almost 18 years from a wisdom tooth extraction. I've had 7 surgeries to remove the nerve but I still live with the pain to this day.I often have flare ups where my tongue is burning so bad I try and stay busy but it not helping I'm looking for any suggestions for relief any and all suggestions I'm open to.Ive tried so many medications but I'm not good with medication. So I'm reaching for anything at this point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi.m on 3yrs now.still n pain.taking herbs here...how r u now

      Delete
  12. Hi
    Maria 45 years old

    Have had 2 lower impacted wisdom teeth removed same time under general anisthetic, 5 weeks ago. After going home realised my left part of my tongue was numb, then started to feel as if it was coming round from injections but never came back, feels as though its always coming out of an injection, I have to be careful how I eat so don't bite my tongue. Initially I cried for about a week on and off after reading on the Internet that it may never come back. I am a therapist so I have to talk alot at first I had a slur but now no one notices. It aches quite a lot in the evening and I have what feels like a twisting rope burn on the tip most evenings. I have acquired some cbd oil which I believe helps I don't take any medication or painkillers as I'm over sensitive to them but find coffee helps and I am trying b12, bonus I have lost weight as I can't really snack, only eat when hungry and avoid over chewy food. I feel I may be in it for the long haul so as I'm a Hypnotherapist use lots of positive imagery and positive thought, even sometimes liken the burn to pop rocks (those sweets that crackle on the tongue) to make myself feel better. If I sit really still and don't move my tongue it sometimes feels like it's not there, which is a relief. Worst time is when I go to sleep dream it's gone wake up and its still there!!!! But as the day goes on deal with it. I really feel for all you guys and girls on here as I know how it feels and others can't even imagine, who don't have it. I didn't have an option not to take my wisdom out as they were so bad. I use charcoal toothpaste and mouthwash as I read somewhere they can help bonus whiter teeth!! It's nice to chat to others with the same issues, keep on researching people and keep picturing the nerves knitting back together and repairing as I believe the body is an amazing thing, good luck everyone 💋❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello maria.i took herbs here.where u from?me m from phil

      Delete
  13. Living with damage for last 2 years. Burning at first but low dose steroids seemed to improve injury. I now live with tingling sensation 80 percent numbness and a wierd tingling pain in my face above the temple. Cause wisdom teeth extraction, anasetic injection caused the issue. Feel annoyed but I know it was an accident and the consultant did not mean for this to happen. Infact they try to work so this doesn't happen. Blueberries seem to help a natural anti-inflamatory. Tried Cbd oil but havent found its made a massive difference. Still hopeful it will be improve, but I have bad days. You are not alone x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,

    26 Years old male.

    I suffered lingual nerve injury almost 2 years ago. I had significant improvement but still suffering from pain and burning sensation. I also developed depression due to this injury which makes it even worse to deal with.
    I tried anti-seizure painkillers like Lyrica, Tegretol and Gabapentin along with vitamins and supplements but with mild effect. I am trying laser therapy sometime next week to see if it has any effect. I just hope this goes away. Bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Husain, it sounds like we're on similar timelines with out injuries. How did the laser therapy go?

      Delete
  15. Female

    32 years old

    Injury: Lingual nerve injury, left side, caused during wisdom tooth extraction, possibly from the local anaesthetic injection, May 2017 (2 years at time of writing). Same injury caused severe TMJ (jaw joint) displacement, which is chronic and aggravates the damaged nerve.

    Symptoms: Numbness, burning, tingling, hypersensitivity and sharp pain from touch, constant dull ache, odd tastes (sour, metallic, soap, "chemicals"), also loss of taste, that punched-in-the-face feeling, deferred sensation (e.g. when i brush my back molars, i feel intense pain in the tip of my tongue), and increased thirst. I bite my tongue and also spill (dribble) food and drink a lot because of the numbness and reduced positional awareness. Affected areas are tongue, gum, lip, outer lip, outer cheek. Side effects of pain have been reduced mental cognition and physical stamina, weight gain (also from meds), depression/anxiety, migraines.

    Treatment/Meds tried: Lyrica (gave it 3 months, was always high and rapid weight gain - it did relieve some pain though so I considered it an extended holiday), physiotherapy (immediate relief, esp migraines), Tramadol, NSAIDS and other non-prescription pain killers, Keltican Forte, pain therapy (in the way of yoga, meditation and lifestyle changes).


    Best treatment or coping strategies:
    Good routine with self care. Sleep/rest, staying ridiculously hydrated (I find water soothes the burn), meditation for mindfulness to break the cycle of panic and anxiety that pain causes, gentle yoga and exercise to keep the rest of my body in alright condition to support the injury. Tramadol is effective as my life-raft final option when I can't take it anymore during those really bad days.
    **For people with menstrual cycles: after keeping a pain diary, I discovered my pain spiked at particular points of my cycle, so my neurologist suggested that increased inflammation from prostaglandin production was causing the pain flare ups. The simple solution was to preemptively take Naproxen (NSAID, inhibits prostaglandins) and this has drastically reduced the number of pain days I have.
    Having a hobby you love to distract from the pain and discomfort and to give you purpose on rough days also shouldn't be underestimated, especially if it's something that gets you out of the house and socialising, but it's also great to have something for days you just need to stay home.

    How I am today: Barely any physical change. I have good days and bad days. The biggest change is that I cope with it better mentally and therefore have a better quality of life and am more active than at the beginning of the injury. I've also gradually adjusted a lot of my habits - what I eat, how much I talk etc - and those natural adaptations make things more comfortable. A year ago I had entire weeks stuck at home unable to get much of anything done. Now I'm finishing my studies, spending long days being productive, helping friends and starting to re-introduce more energy intensive activities back into my life (like harder workouts and travelling).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there...hard to deal right?ms.unknown but its our life we have to move on and stay strong.hope to chat with u then.im female feom phil

      Delete
  16. Same here...i just kept myself busy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Female

    49

    10-01-2020
    Shot directly to the lingual nerve before feeling teeth. I tried to tell him something was wrong, but he kept on and everytime says he got near it. I know better as it shot to the end of my tongue as soon as he started. That shot was some of the worst pain I have ever had and I have had surgery and given birth a few times.

    24/7 numb at the right tip of my tongue. Burning or that feeling that you get when you have drunk hot chocolate thats too hot. Pain sometimes in various areas on that side of the tongue. Teeth hurt on bottom right of my mouth. Headaches. Feeling of being unwell. Numbness along side at times. Slight jaw ache/pain in corner.

    Just happened, so not on meds. Doc said it would heal and mentioned nothing about meds. Sleep helps the most. Water cools it off. I've been taking ibuprofen.

    Mine doesn't seem to be as bad as others on here. It makes me feel unwell, I hurt mostly in the evenings. The numbness and pain are annoying and sometimes just achy. I have read that over time it sometimes gets worse, so trying not to downplay it. I'm not a complainer or extremely sensitive to pain, but this does at times ache pretty good.

    ReplyDelete